Friday, July 11, 2014

What's on the needles

Howdy friends!

So how does one be consistent on a blog?
Well for starters actually blogging would be a great start!

So here we go!

WHAT'S ON THE NEEDLES?

 I am and always have been an ADHD crafter. I can never have just one project going.  Lately I have been starting all sorts of things and not been able to complete anything. 

Background:  I spent 6 weeks at my regular job AND working on an election campaign doing Data entry. As one of my friends explained my creative knitting mojo was gone from doing Data all the time. Also I was mentally and emotionally exhausted.

Tried as I might I couldn't get past the heel of some amazing sock patterns. That shawl, smooshy, easy but no not today.

I have begun the return to completion in baby steps. Inspired by a friends massive fish blanket, I began knitting my own fish for my own blanket. They took no time at all.

Next I made some felted bowls. They took maybe a day to do each one.

Then came the big issue. I have a swap partner and I have to make something for her. Also the group I participate on line needed something with a minimum of 450 yards of yarn.
ACK!!!!!!

I toiled over what to do. I plotted and planned. Planned and plotted! Finally I chose 2 projects. Both inspired by Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

1st up I chose the Hitchhiker by Martina Behm (a paid pattern). It is in a beautifully smooshy madelinetosh Light in magenta (Bought at my LYS!). I used a 3.5mm needle on the project, not the 2.5 recommended for the yarn. I know from experience that this yarn is a bloomer! So the larger needle (which is what I had on hand at the office when I started it) was what I used. It is great! I love how it feels and I may have even been willing to go up another needle size or 2. 

I started it on July 3rd and we shall see where it goes to. I hope to finish it this weekend so it can be sent on it's merry way.

Here is a photo of it with my other shawl I will talk about shortly:
Hitchhiker is on the bottom and Trillian is on top
My second project is Trillian by Martina Behm (another paid pattern). This is the pattern that will be my over 450yard project. Yarn choice in fingering weight yarns can be difficult as many skeins don't get that high on the list. I chose Nerd Girl Yarns Bounce & Stomp. It is 463 yards of awesome sock yarn. It is my favorite yarn base by this indie dyer (see link to shop on the right!).  The yarn colour comes from her Doctor Who: Who's your Doctor yarn and fibre club so at the moment its kind of limited edition. This colour way is inspired by Madame Vastra called "Stingy, yet tasty all the same." The colour is so amazing and the pooling is fantastic. I was enjoying this so much, I only wanted to knit this. But I need to get the Hitchhiker done first.
Trillian in Nerd Girl Yarns Bounce & Stomp "Stingy, yet tasty all the same."
So I want to knit big things again! Sort of. I hope that once these are finished, I will continue to build the knitting mojo momentum.

Please note: LYS= Local yarn store - Knit-o-matic (link in the sidebar). All patterns unless otherwise stated are available on Ravelry, a free on-line amazing tool for knitter, crocheters and spinners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment