Friday, May 25, 2012

Even the best cowlgirls have Daddy issues!

Good day all!

It's time for another project to work through my issues.

The lucky project is a present for my Dad. Talk about issues to work through.
OK I don't have major Daddy issues, but the quest for perfection for him is something in real life that is sort of there. Most people want to please their parents and keep 'em happy. I am  no exception!

I have named this cowl  as a play on an episode title of one of my favorite TV shows Lost.

A little background on my Dad and my knitting experiences

My Dad is very specific about what he wants. I have knit him things over the years and he loves them all, but sometimes he makes me scream.

Example 1: THE PERFECT SCARF!
 He has spent the majority of my life looking for the perfect winter scarf. Everyone he has had was too long, too short, too wide, not wide enough, not soft enough (you  get the picture!).
So I set out to make him the scarf he wanted.
Firstly, it had to be cashmere! I explained that for what he wanted it would be hundreds of dollars. I brought him an alternative to feel. Alpaca! WE HAVE A WINNER!
Next he think that the machine ones he gets are great and he wants the weave to be just like that  because if there are holes of any kind he will be cold. I explained how knitting worked and that it would be fine. So he wasn't truly convinced but he decided to trust me. I did a seed stitch scarf.
When he got it he loved it. He doesn't wear it too often as the last few winters have not been that cold.
I CALL THIS AN OVER ALL WIN

Example 2: THE NEVER ENDING BLANKET!
Dad liked to have a perfectly square blanket so he doesn't have to think about which is the correct end.
He wanted brick colours
NO HOLES
After 2 years I finally finished the blanket that he totally loved, but  the negotiation to get it done was crazy. He told me he wanted a king size blanket. WHAT? I think he figured out the craziness of that.
After I had given it to him, he wanted me to continue the edging to make it bigger. I told him no that it was done.
NOT SURE ABOUT THIS WIN!

Example 3: THE SOCKS HE DIDN'T KNOW HE WANTED!
So this holiday season, I didn't ask what he wanted and I decided on a pair of plain grey socks.
He loved them, but as I knew already, he only wears one kind of sock. This was a moral victory as he loved them showed them off to everyone and keeps them in his home office in full view.

So that brings us to today.
He has so many specifics, but I am determined to get it right for him.
This will finish knitting up by the end of the weekend. He won't see it until his birthday. So we shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment