Thursday, September 10, 2009

TTC Things That (drive me) Crazy

I am going on a TTC rampage.

On the whole I love our public transit system. I love that I can get anywhere from my house in about half an hour. I could be going north, south, east or west if I go into a station anywhere really really fast!

My gripes are as follows:

1. There was a horrible, I mean HORRIBLE, mildew smell at the south entrance at the St. Clair West escalators. It was horrible! That was in February! They then shut down the  escalators for maintenance to presumably fix the escalators. The only way down  was the stairs. Not good if you are with stroller or wheelchair! They kept putting a sign up saying it would be fixed. It was not fixed until July! That's way too long! Especially when there is no accessibilty at either St Clair West entrances!

2.People on the subway are stupid. Who stands in the doorway of a completly empty train on the side that the platform is on? I understand if it is rush hour & full but honestly!

3. People on the subway smell. I accept that body odour exists. I accept that people will lather on smelly stuff to mask the odour. But there are people not only with bad B.O. but the scent they are masking it with  is just as bad. And it gives me  a headache or a runny nose because I am allergic to the combo!

4. People on the subway are rude. Bags & backpacks should be put in between your legs not on your shoulder. If there is a sudden jolt you could take someone out. It is common sense people! Also people who are pregnant, obviously injured, too old to balance properly, or too little to balance properly should be  given your damn seats! And if someone gets up to give one of these people their seat, don't steal it from underneath them!

5. Sunday bus service is really stupid! I have to get to my church gig at 9:00am on Sunday mornings. The trains start operating at 9:00am. So in order to get there on time I have to take a bus across Bloor St from Bathurst all the way over to Dundas West. Once I'm on the bus it goes really fast. But waiting is rediculous! If you don't get there before 8:10 you have to wait almost 30 mins before another shows up. Correction, 2 or 3 go by in the other direction, 2 or 3 go by and are out of service! When the bus finally arrives it is followed by another 2 Buses. What's the point really? It does not make me love the transit system on a cold Sunday morn!

6. I am a mental case! I admit to mild claustrophobia. It is particularly bad on the Subway at rush hour. I have pretty much solved the problem by listening to my ipod & therefore I block out the noise & my mind can't play games on me. All though I have to get off the subway first. Only because I NEED to get out of there!  One time we lost complete power in the  cars (lights too!). I had a crazy panic attack. I don't usually have panic attacks. So I am for some reason a TTCophobe!

My final question is how on earth does someone put a full face of make-up on? I'm talking foundation, eye-liner, mascara, etc. I would be affraid to blind myself if the car jerked. Can you not take an extra 10 mins out of your day to do it at home or the gym? I don't care if you are reapplying lipstick, but eyeliner? Really?

The one thing I really like about the TTC is the different people who ride it. There is such a variety of people from every background, race, age, level of reality. So watching the people despite my  issues is quite intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment