Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Bitchn' about knittin'

Last night when I got home Mum & I were talking about my knitting.

As I mentioned in yesterdays blog, I knit a headband for myself on Saturday & I had a bunch of yarn leftover. I mentioned the leftover yarn to my Mum & thought that one of my sister's kids would probably like a headband. She suggested that I make one for my brother's daughter Maya (She has my middle name and has her birthday in March just like me!).

I hesitated only because I am worried that my nephew Siddhartha (Maya's brother) might get jealous that he wasn't getting something from me. You know how kids can be. It's all about being fair. I admit that Siddhartha probably doesn't want a knit headband seeing as he doesn't have the hairstyle for one and he might feel funny wearing one.

So after a moment's hesitation, I went upstairs and grabbed all the stuff for the headband. See as Maya has a smaller head than me I decided to modify it for a child's head. I started at 7pm & finished just before 10pm. I did stop for a couple of breaks so it took less than 3 hrs. I must say that it is very satisfying to finish a project in less than a day. I was worried that I wouldn't get it done before she leaves on Friday. So she will get it. The green is great for her colouring. I also still have half of the skein left. So if I want to I can make them for my other nieces and/or my sister.

I have also knitted some dish clothes for the office over the summer. It is another quick satisfying knitting project that doesn't take too long to finish. One of the summer students, whose last day is Friday, mentioned he would love a couple for his wife. So tonight & maybe tomorrow, I will be knitting those as well.

I have been working on a few large projects as of late. My Mum's sweater which just needs to have the last half sewn together & then washed for good measure is one of those projects. I tried working on that one on Friday night, but ended up freaking out & stopping (I have done mattress stitch before. Hello I already sewed half of the sweater already!). I am going to try again this weekend **FINGERS CROSSED!**

My other big long project is my Dad's arrears log cabin blanket, which I have blogged about before. It is coming along nicely & will be done sometime this fall. I love going to sit at Haley's working on it & people telling me they love it.

My final three projects (not for me, but promised!) are crocheted bags for my sister & the girls. Seeing as it was Avery's birthday almost two weeks ago, I am currently working on hers. I have modified it slightly to make a bit smaller for her. I think that can be done by the end of the week. I will add a chapters gift card as part of the present and then her birthday present is complete. I may start my sister's next, because I was originally going to make one for her up at the cottage, but I didn't have the pattern to work from. Her birthday is past by a few months. Tyler's birthday is in November, so I will get it done by then no problem.

I must say I like the biggish projects, but feel somewhat bad that they take forever to complete.

After I have done most of the biggish projects, I will make myself a shrug that is in a book I have. It is going to be in chunky alpaca wool so it will be a petting shrug that can keep me warm. It will end up looking good with work or casual fair!

Maybe someday I'll post some shots of my knitting. However at this time whenever I try to take pictures of it it is coloured very weirdly.

No comments:

Post a Comment