Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Geekiness, Dorkiness & Nerd-dom too!

I am not sure if I am a geek, nerd or dork.

According to dictionary.com the meanings are as follows:
geek  Slang.
–noun
1. a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp. one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.
2.a computer expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.)
3.a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.

nerd 
–noun Slang.
1.a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.
2.an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.


dork
–noun Slang.
1.a stupid or ridiculous person; jerk; nerd.


Well I call myself all of the above. But those are not the definitions I see myself as. Although #3 of Geek sounds alot like me! As an admitted Dork/nerd geek, I would hardly say I am unlikeable or stupid. I may be irritating at times, but hey so are you!
I have always been a nerd/geek /dork & I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
When I was a child I didn't understand those labels or any labels at all. Once I hit the teens is a different story. I was a Band/Music/Drama geek in high school but I wouldn't hear those terms. I didn't want to be labelled at all. I was the anti-labeller.
Geekiness, Dorkniess and Nerd-dom continued as a singing geek through my twenties.
I don't know where I learned to accept the "eccentricities" that I have but I did. I hit my thirties and was able to acknowledge my Nerd-dom , Geekines and/or dorkiness. I still had friends who didn't like it when I called myself one of those as if I was insulting myself and not embracing it.

I actually find it freeing in some weird way. I have pretty much been accepting of myself through the years, but accepting that I am who I am, makes me love me more. I wish more people could figure it out for themselves.

Let's stand up and profess ourselves our nerd-dom bliss!

Welcom to Nerd-dom!

No comments:

Post a Comment